In the 1920s Italian shoemaker Ludovico Iarussi (later changed to Jarussi) owned this property containing his shop and several frame commercial buildings. In 1929, Iarussi razed the older shops and constructed the present building. Financially disabled in the stock market crash later that year, Iarussi was unable to afford occupancy himself. He leased part of the commercial space and sold the remainder. The Yugoslavian families of Yelich and then Thiel ran a saloon in the north portion until 1985, while various businesses occupied the additional space. Polychromatic brickwork, a recessed double entry, original transom glass, and intact commercial glazing form a superior example of 1920s vintage architecture.