The Rocky Fork Coal Company constructed this hotel, originally the Spofford, which welcomed its first guests on July 4, 1893. This architectural landmark, built before the commercial district was platted, originally had its main entrance on 11th Street, which was the busy roadway leading to the Eastside coal mines. Early guests included Buffalo Bill Cody, Calamity Jane, and William Jennings Bryan. In 1903, an annex added twenty-five guest rooms and the Golden Rule Store. By 1907, the entrance was relocated to Broadway. The Pollard’s commercial space housed the post office, a bank, and other tenants, and it soon became a primary business and social center. Today the brick walls chart a century of remodeling and change.

Images

Map

2 North Broadway, Red Lodge, Montana ~ private