Original rusticated and ashlar concrete blocks and the 1935 ROMAN marquee distinguish the façade of this early movie theater. Austrian immigrant Steve Roman built the theater in 1917. One of fourteen sons, nineteen-year-old Roman came to Red Lodge in 1897 to work in the mines. He launched into the theater business, operating several local theaters before he built the Roman. Roman’s wife, Librera, ran the upstairs Hotel Isabella, and at various times Roman’s six children took tickets, performed on the theater’s stage, accompanied silent movies on the organ, operated the projector, and ran the box office. In 1935, Roman extensively remodeled the theater adding air conditioning, new seats, draperies, lighting, and the eight-foot Art Deco style neon marquee. The remodel, by architect Bjarne Moe and contractor C. W. Hamrick, both of Seattle, caused considerable local excitement. The opening gala featured special appearances by the nationally renowned Crockett Family. Admission cost 35 cents for adults and 15 cents for children. Daughter Mary managed the theater until 1977. The Roman retains much of its 1935 façade and is Montana’s oldest, continuously-running moving picture theater.