Belt Commercial Historic District

Pennsylvania native John Castner discovered rich coal deposits along Belt Creek in 1870. Within just a few years, he and Fort Benton trader T. C. Power opened a commercial coal mine near here. The partners sold coal for use by the Great Northern Railway, the Boston & Montana Refinery in Great Falls, and for domestic uses in central Montana. Belt originated to serve the mine, attracting men from throughout the United States and Europe to work side-by-side underground. In 1885, Castner and his wife, Mattie, one of Montana’s early African-American businesswomen, established a stage station and hotel at this site on the Lewistown-Great Falls Road. The expansion of the mine by its new owner, the Anaconda Copper Mining Company, in 1894 caused a profound change in Belt. Its commercial district relocated to the area adjacent to the stage station on what became known as Castner Street. By the early twentieth century, a jumble of wooden false-front commercial buildings and saloons lined the street, keeping in character with the community’s origin as a mining camp. The expansion of the mine and the surrounding area’s increasing dependence on agriculture in the early 1900s significantly changed the appearance of Belt’s commercial district. The old false-front buildings gave way to the more substantial stone and brick-front buildings that line the street today. Although many lack architectural ornamentation, collectively the buildings gave the appearance of a prosperous and stable community. The commercial district represents the metamorphosis of Belt from a mining camp to a modern city.

Images

Birdseye View Looking Up Belt Creek

Birdseye View Looking Up Belt Creek

"Birdseye view looking up Belt Creek, Belt, MT" Catalog #PAc 98-36.5 | Source: Montana Historical Society Research Center Photograph Archives, Helena, Montana | Creator: Unidentified photographer View File Details Page

Belt Commercial Historic District

Belt Commercial Historic District

Belt Commercial Historic District Cascade, MT Photographer Ellen Sievert Date: Sept. 2003 (checked August 2004) Location of negs: Cascade Co. Historic Preservation Office Great Falls, MT View to: (blank) Photo #: (blank) | Source: Official records of the Montana State Historic Preservation Office, Helena, Montana | Creator: Ellen Sievert View File Details Page

Belt Commercial Historic District

Belt Commercial Historic District

Pythian Castle (verso) b&w print | Source: Official records of the Montana State Historic Preservation Office, Helena, Montana | Creator: Unidentified Photographer View File Details Page

Access Information:

private

Street Address:

Castner Street, Belt, Montana [map]

Cite this Page:

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “Belt Commercial Historic District,” Explore Big – Montana's Historic Places, accessed May 27, 2017, http://explorebig.org/items/show/45.

Related Tours

Tags

Tour navigation:  Previous | Tour Info | Next

Share this Story