The hasty construction of this remarkably preserved early dwelling reflects the excitement of the gold rush to Alder Gulch during the summer of 1863. Its original dirt-covered pole roof predates the first saw mills; the roof was later covered over with sawn boards. The interior illustrates the once-common use of muslin stretched over logs to imitate a smooth plastered wall. Early occupants were blacksmiths, and during the 1880s and 1890s Julius and Frederick Kramer operated a saddlery here. Living quarters were located in the rear, a common arrangement in mining camps and frontier towns.