Union Pacific Generator House, West Yellowstone

The railroad constructed a stone and wood generator house for a gas engine here in 1918. In 1927, that building was remodeled with a new roof, stone corners, and slab siding to blend with the Rustic style architecture of the new dining lodge next door. A diesel engine and generators replaced the gas engine in 1934. These, as well as the electric output control board, remain in place today. In 1941, the Fall River Rural Electric Coop purchased the diesel engine and generating capabilities, allowing twenty-four-hour electrical service to become available to the town for the first time. By 1947, Fall River had extended the power line to West Yellowstone from Idaho. The generating facilities then reverted back to railroad use and backup in case of emergencies.

Images

Map

210 Yellowstone Ave, West Yellowstone, Montana ~ public