Graves Funeral Home

Cabinet and furniture makers also made caskets, and so the two businesses often went hand in hand. Furniture dealer James E. Graves purchased H. C. Plimpton’s long-established furniture and undertaking business in the 1920s. In 1929, Graves moved…

First Christian Church

Accompanied by popular singing evangelist C. M. Ridenour of Fort Benton, J. S. Raum preached the Christian Church’s first service in Miles City in 1910. Forty-four people attended. Early church membership was diverse, including a successful attorney,…

The Olive Hotel

Since the 1880s, Miles City has been the trade, service, and social center for Eastern Montana ranchers. After its famed McQueen House burned down, town booster Joseph Leighton built the Leighton, 1898-1899, which became an area landmark. Within a…

Holy Rosary Hospital

A converted two-story house served as the county hospital in 1907, a year before the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad arrived in Miles City. With encouragement from the railroad, which needed a place to treat injured workers, the…

Shore - Newcom Store

[Note: This structure burned down in 2009.] The Shore-Newcom Store opened in 1900 in the Foster Building at 701 Main. Owned and operated by Thomas Shore and Wirt H. Newcom, the store handled mercantile goods. They moved to 709 Main in 1905, and…