904 Monroe

Newspaper pressman Portus B. Thornton and his wife Victoria were the original owners of this Colonial Revival/Folk Victorian transitional cottage built circa 1905. Thornton came to Missoula from his native Canada in 1901 and married that same year. A…

635 South Fourth West

Julia and Aaron Conner homesteaded in the Bitterroot Valley in 1882 where they prospered and raised six children. Aaron was elected judge at Darby in 1886 and served as Speaker of the House in the Montana legislature in 1900 and 1903. After Aaron…

906 Worden

As Hellgate trading post grew into Missoula after 1860, farms sprouted north of the city center. The 1883 arrival of the Northern Pacific railroad brought residential construction to the Northside. The new neighborhood housed mainly railroad workers,…

514 Daly Avenue

The block was sparsely developed when this Craftsman style bungalow took its place in the neighborhood circa 1921. A front-gabled roof, multi-paned Chicago style windows, wide overhanging eaves with exposed rafter tails, and square columns supporting…

501 Daly Avenue

Missoulians lobbied hard for their Miles City to become home to the University of Montana, and none worked harder than A. B. Hammond, whose business interests included the South Missoula Land Company. Along with his rival C. P. Higgins who also…

341 Keith Avenue

The decorative brackets, low pitched roof with dormers, wide overhanging eaves, and extended flared rafters mark this home as a Craftsman-style residence. A welcoming wraparound porch accents the front entryway with a centered gable supported by…

Elrod Residence

Intricate spindlework and turned columns on the wraparound porch decorate this Queen Anne style house. The northeast corner of the porch roof once supported stacked second- and third-story balconies, topped by a decorative turret. Montana botanist…

BPOE Lodge #383

Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of the U.S.A., Hell Gate Lodge #383, has offered conviviality, community service, and social support since its founding in 1898. In 1911 lodge members contracted with Montana’s premier architectural firm of…