A keen sense of the town’s future prompted businessman William Talmage to move his hardware business away from the busy commercial center a few blocks south to this building in 1894. When other businesses began to move to the newly platted main street in 1895, owners “lined up” their buildings with Talmage’s storefront. The original one-story sandstone building acquired its second floor in 1902, and Talmage moved the iron lettering to the top of the parapet. By 1907, commercial space included a hardware and grocery with an office at the rear. Elegant arched tripartite windows and a Greek-patterned fret band embellish the locally manufactured brick of the upper floor.