Goughnour Lumber Office

Livingston Commercial Historic District

Emanuel Goughnour arrived in Livingston in late 1882 and formed a general lumber business. He also operated a saw mill on Willow Creek and a steam planing mill at the foot of Second Street. Between 1885 and 1891 he assembled six lots on Second Street and East Lewis, establishing the E. Goughnour Lumber Yard. This commercial structure, built in 1891, was his office. Its western vernacular style with fancy brickwork and arched windows reflects Livingston during this busy period. Goughnour’s lumber yard eventually included four contiguous lots on Third Street. He expanded his lumber business and at various times operated sawmills on Mulherrin Creek Cinnebar Basin and in Big Timber, Castle, and St. Regis. Goughnour was also active in civic affairs. He helped establish the Livingston Board of Trade, served on the board of the National Park Bank, helped erect the first public school, and was a prominent Republican advocating the creation of Park . In 1902 Goughnour sold his lumber business. It became the Livingston Lumber Company as advertised in a well-preserved ghost sign on the side of the building.

Images

Map

214 South 2nd Street, Livingston, Montana ~ Private