George Gohn, a butcher by trade, came to Alder Gulch with the first rush in June of 1863. A member of the vigilance committee and later elected to several county offices, Gohn ran a local meat market. The Gohn family lived in the house next door prior to 1867 until the completion of this fine one-and-one-half-story stone residence in 1892. Originally incorporated into the wooden house (which was moved eight feet west in 1990), the “pleasant and convenient” home boasted excellent stonework, “artistic painting,” and a very handsome interior finished in oak and maple. Most of the original features remain, including windows, doors, and porch brackets, reinforcing the frontier refinement of this well-cared for home.